Monday, May 01, 2006

VoIP: What? Can you hear me?

Again, this blog is not designed to be a subjective rant, but I do have to weigh in on VoIP, or, Voice over Internet Protocol.

It seems to be the next hot thing, but I have had two very bad experiences with it. Two calls I made to two different customer service centers turned out to be worse experiences than those bad cell phone calls we've all dealt with at one time or another.

Most recently, my call to Dell computers ended up in (where else?) India. We spent most of the call just trying to hear each other, and if two people spoke at the same time, the sound just cut out altogether.

It may be that it's a problem during high call-volume times only, I don't know. But it was extremely irritating.

For more info on VoIP, the FCC has a good informational site.