Friday, March 17, 2006

Let's hear it for truckers!


As I've written in the past, I try not to make this a personal blog. However, this is just too good not to share:


I was making pretty good time along a busy two-lane (in one direction) route used by a lot of truckers. I was just about to pass two semis driving in tandem, when the second one back pulled into the left lane right in front of me, and pulled up even with the next truck up -- and then he did not pass! They just stayed side-by-side for about a mile.

I didn't get too impatient, but I did start to wonder what was up with these guys . . . and then I found out. We drove around a bend, and parked in a little glen on the right, hidden by the trees, was a state trooper!

The truckers knew he was there, and they intentionally blocked the road to keep anyone from exceeding the speed limit!

Boy, did I appreciate that!

We kept moving around the bend, and then the trucks fell back into line. As I passed them, I waved through the moon-roof and gave them the thumbs-up. I got a cheerful blast of the horn in return, and then I was gone.

I am still filled with appreciation and admiration for those truckers, and their concern for others sharing the road with them (or at least -- no disrespect what-so-ever intended toward law enforcement -- their healthy appetites for "sticking it to the man").